Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Horse Shows in the Park

Last weekend was the H/J show down in Newberry. I didn't get to miss school that Friday because it was the end of quarter and my school's anal about attendance. It was a little more stressful to not be able to bathe Monty at home. Dawn and I drove down together after I got out of school. We got there pretty late, but Kate and Goldie had already been schooled. Carmen and I rode together. I got to jump in the outdoor arena that I would be showing in and Monty was great. Then Carmen jumped Magnum and then she got on Monty to school him over the fences in the indoor arena.
I had to give Monty a bath in the dark... Not so much fun.
The next day Carmen rode Monty first. He was pretty good, but the triple line confused him a bit. She placed 3rd, 3rd, 4th, and 4th. I showed later in the afternoon. It was really hard to wait so long to show because I was so excited! I've never been so excited to show before.
When I finally did get to show it was great. We placed 2/9, 6/6, 2/6, 3/6, 2/5. The last one was a Mini-Medal class so it was really fun. They had to make us do a flat class to decide who won it. I couldn't believe I did that well in it! When I went to get my ribbons they told me I got reserve champion and I almost had a heart attack.
The second day wasn't as good as the first. Monty had been shown by Carmen and me and that added up to 10 classes. We showed early in the day. He was really sticky with his right to left flying lead change. Carmen said that he was probably sore. We got the leads eventually. But it did take a bit longer- the judge didn't seem to mind that much. In the Mini-Medal class for that day we had some problems. We had to do a rollback on the left lead. Not only was he sore, but I haven't quite mastered rollbacks. So that was a little disaster. We lost momentum over the 2nd jump in the rollback and it went downhill from there. But we got 4th/7 anyways. (Even though we knocked down a pole.) We didn't place in the flat though... we sorta kind of knocked over a standard which put us out of the running... I was attempting to get between the standard and another horse. I figured I rather not run into the horse. Monty was great though. He didn't spook or anything when it fell over. Other than those two I got 3/9, 3/8, and 5/8.
The weekend was a lot of fun and it was nice to do something different for once. I'm hoping that we'll be really good when we go back to our last First Coast show!
On the sad side I'm now sick with a virus and haven't gotten to ride since Sunday...
I think I need to get back to the dressage. I love jumping now, but I've sort of ignored my dressage saddle for awhile.

No comments: